Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Shine Bright like His Diamond

So, this weekend my sister and I embarked on the dreaded "Swimsuit Shopping Spree of Self-Loathing." You know, the one where you try on the "on trend" fabric-the-width-of-your-pinky bathing suits and stare at your i-think-brownies-and-pad-thai-are-delicious-yolo-i-live-in-Washington-with-the-pasty-vampires body and immediately determine to eat only negative four almonds and work out 23,070,129,421 hours a day.

Oh, so you've gone on this spree, too?

Sheesh! Something is unhealthy in this story, and I don't think it's my body. 
I'm talking about this insane body image that we have built up in our minds (You know, the ones where we look like that emaciated dog rescued from the abusive home on Animal Cops: Houston). 

It's a little frightening. Actually, it's a lot frightening. 

There is so much more to you than what you look like in a swimsuit, but that seems to be the time that it is easiest to forget that. Never am I more self-focused than on Swimsuit Shopping Spree Day, and it is that day that I always end up feeling the worst about myself. 
A coincidence? I think not. 
The instant I turn from focusing on what God's Ideal Me looks like, the instant I start feeling like cuddling up with my cats with my best friends Tom and Jerry. 
Even (no, especially) on days like the SSSofSL, I need to remember who I really should be trying to look like. 
Let me give you a hint: It's not the model on the cover of the magazine checkout. No, it's Someone much more beautiful, whose beauty radiates from Himself in such nearly inconceivable brilliance that you would have to be hidden in the cleft of a rock in order to not die from the sheer glory of His face (Exodus 33). 

Oh, did you guess it? 
That's right, shine bright like His diamond. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Models, even male models — how small they've gotten! It looks great for clothes, but it's not what you want in real life. Why do we have to keep looking at ourselves and measuring?" - Demi Moore

"God made a very obvious choice when he made me voluptuous; why would I go against what he decided for me? My limbs work, so I'm not going to complain about the way my body is shaped." -Drew Barrymore

"How much time have I wasted on diets and what I look like? Take your time and your talent and figure out what you have to contribute to this world. And get over what the heck your butt looks like in those jeans!" -America Ferreira



1 comment:

  1. This is so good, Emily! I love reading your blog! What a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete