Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Come, Thou Fount

Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing has always been my favorite worship song. 

Always.

The line "Let thy goodness, Lord, like a fetter bind my wandering heart to Thee." has always given me chills. 

Always. 

My prayer has always been that God would bind me to Him, because I know that I am not always strong enough to reach for Him when I need Him most. He is always faithful to grasp me to his heart, even when I am too stubborn to even cry out for His help. 

Do you know what a "fetter" is? It is a chain. It is involuntary and inescapable. And I pray that God ensnares me in his fetter of love. I want to be His servant for the rest of my life, because being a servant to Him is the ultimate freedom. 

But lately, a few more lines of this hymn have caught my attention, "Tune my heart to sing Thy grace" being one of them.

Do you play an instrument? Tuning can take a long time, especially if the instrument has been neglected for a while. Tuning is a process, and not everyone can do it well. For example, my grandma is 100% tone-deaf. I love her to pieces, but believe me when I tell you that you do not want her tuning your heart. 
Tuning is also sensitive. Even a hair out of tune, and the sound grates upon the ears. God is the "author and perfecter of our faith" (Hebrews 12:2). Perfecter! He does not stop with "decently average" or "sufficiently close to quality." No! We are being perfected! We are the clay in His hands, and He is shaping us to understand the boundless depths of His grace. 

With each tweak of of heart, we are able to comprehend His goodness a tinsy bit more. Therefore, don't fight His handiwork! He is the greatest musician in all of time and space.  


--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Come thou fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise

Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
I'll praise the Mount I'm fixed upon it
Mount of Thy redeeming love


Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by Thy help I come
Oh, and I hope by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home

Oh Jesus, sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He, to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood


Ode to grace, how great a debtor
Daily I'm constrained to be
And let Thy goodness like a fetter
Bind my wandering heart to Thee

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it
Seal it for Thy courts above


No comments:

Post a Comment